I wanted to share with you a simple and yet profound experience I had while in Adoration yesterday, in the hope that it might inspire and strengthen you as well, as we together traverse this journey of life.
But first, some background: Over the last few months I have been going through a time of transition... having recently graduated from college and now learning the ropes of my first "professional" job, it has been a struggle to find my place in the world. Like many recent graduates (or anyone going through a major life change), there is often a sense of isolation as one attempts to understand what role he/she has to play in relation to others on this journey of life. At times it can seem exciting, while at other times it can seem completely overwhelming, and many times lonely - even when surrounded by new crowds of people. This is at least where I've found myself lately. Yet, through the excitement and occasional tears, God has always been there for me, even when I do not fully sense His presence.
Another aspect of transition that I have noticed, at least in myself, is when life seems completely overwhelming, I often begin to yearn for certain aspects or people of the past. Sometimes I get so focused on the past that I miss the present blessings that God is offering to me in this moment.
This brings me back to the experience I had in Adoration, while considering the words of a wise priest and dear friend of mine in an email I received from him yesterday. In answering some questions I had previously asked, he responded with a quote from Helen Keller,When one door of happiness closes, another one opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us...After work, I ventured over to the Adoration chapel to ask Jesus some of the questions that had been on my heart. As I quietly meditated in the Lord's presence and shared my heart with Him, He reminded me of the quote and gently whispered to my heart:
I Am the door...
So, for all of you who find yourself in such a stage of transition, if you sense fear, loneliness, isolation... do not retreat to and fix your gaze forlornly on closed doors of the past. Instead, I would encourage you to recognize the gift of the present moment and fix your gaze upon Christ, the open Door, just as St. Paul reminds us in his letter to the Hebrews (12:1-3):
...let us rid ourselves of every burden and sin that clings to us and persevere in running the race that lies before us while keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus, the leader and perfecter of faith. For the sake of the joy that lay before Him He endured the cross... in order that YOU may not grow weary and lose heart.Through the tears and joy of transition, let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the open Door, Who is the satisfaction of all that we yearn for.
You are in my prayers... please keep me in your prayers as well as we traverse this journey of life together.
Shalom in Christ,
Miriam


No comments:
Post a Comment