Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Singing Chalices

"Who may ascend the mountain of the LORD? Who can stand in His holy place? The clean of hand and pure of heart..."
Psalm 24:3-4

"Create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me."
Psalm 51:10
Dear Friends and Family,

After enjoying a pre-Thanksgiving meal last night, a friend was helping me wash dishes when he picked up a wine glass he had just cleaned and began running his fingers around the rim, causing it to "sing". I attempted the feat with the glass I was holding, but to no avail. Observing this, my friend suggested that I clean my fingers and then try again. I did so, and Voila! the chalice began to resonate loudly!

In contemplating this incident, the Holy Spirit brought to mind two important lessons that I wanted to share with all of you. (Yes, leave it to me to find theological significance in washing dishes! Just bear with me though...).

In order for a glass to resonate, I learned that it had to be clean and free of any debris or soap residue - other than the liquid it contained. My fingers, likewise, had to be clean and free of oils.

I began to understand that just as the glass had to be free of impurities, our hearts must also be pure in order to fully resonate with Christ's love. Similarly, in order to make others' hearts "sing" with His love, our hands and motives must be pure in serving them.

But how can our hearts and hands be made pure? Only by God's grace and our cooperation with that grace, just as the Psalmist reminds us saying, "create in me a clean heart, oh God, and renew a right spirit within me".

I pray that our hearts and hands might be made ever purer each day by God's grace as we journey toward our heavenly home.


And now for something a little more lighthearted...



Shalom in Christ,
Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment